London Power ad

[-]
Search the Forum

(Advanced Search)

Questions about Decoupling Values and Tone
Hi Guys

I choose components for reliability and circuits for tone. Galactic Grounding is a given, so IM will be very low and if I need to, I'll sub a ceramic cap some where that might otherwise have a plastic cap just to add some grit. The same applies when you swap out electrolytic filter caps and now have a cleaner PSU - you lose the "electrolytic distortion" and might have to compensate in some other way.

Overall, I stay true to tone NOT to circuits.

The tone-reference approach sometimes means I might have to add an entire tube to get the warmth I want, or use wildly different part values than the OEM tone reference. But.. that just makes it a more creative process.

How much noise and nuance you hear depends a lot on the speaker, which is a whole other discussion...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Questions about Decoupling Values and Tone - by K O'Connor - 10-30-2018, 06:14 PM