London Power ad

[-]
Search the Forum

(Advanced Search)

Pricing help needed (please)
Hey all,
I could use some input from you guys. I have been asked to build a few amp conversions in tolex covered head cabinets.  I need some opinions from other players about how much these would be worth to players to decide if it's worth doing. How much should I charge for these amps?
Thanks Guys for any input you can share.

Info on the amps is:

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]
https://youtu.be/4vVNFjWatKU

This amp was designed and constructed using the basic foundation of a 1960s (Akai M8) Roberts 770X tube reel to reel tape recorder. The amplifier circuitry has been optimized to specifically serve as a guitar amp rather than as hi-fi equipment. Where practical the original vintage components, including the tubes, have been kept.

There are 2 instruments inputs which share the common volume and tone controls. The 2 inputs however employ separate, and different, input stage tubes and therefore sound very different. The first input uses an EF86 (6267) tube. These tubes were used in 1960s vintage VOX amps, and are still used in some Dr. Z, Matchless, and other boutique amplifiers. The 2nd input uses a 12AX7 (12AD7) tube. 12AX7s are the most common preamp tubes used in guitar amplifiers such as Fender, Mesa Boogie, and Marshall. All of the tubes are the original vintage 1960s tubes. This amp is very quiet (background noise and hum) and breaks up nicely at reasonable volume levels.

The tone circuit uses a modified passive Baxandall/James circuit (Bass and Treble controls) similar to the type of tone stacks used in the original Ampeg, Orange,  and some Dr. Z amps. Additionally, a boost switch increases the gain and frequency response of the amp providing additional tonal flexibility.

The output stage is a single-ended class A power amp. This amp uses an EL84 (6BQ5). Single-ended class A amps were used in many lower power 1950s-60s Fender Tweed and Blackface amps and in Vox's AC-4, which also used the EL84 tube. The amp uses a 6X4 tube rectifier. This amp works great for rehearsal, small venue use, and especially studio recording.
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]They look like this in the cabinet:[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mveip4iprwp7ey/PXL_20201201_192712695.jpg?dl=0[/font]
Hello Mr Tubes

Would it be possible to post a picture of your work here?

Having become quite a non-fan of all-things-Google, which includes youtube, I do not fancy soiling the inside of my computer with such places. I'm sure others would appreciate being able to see your fine work without having to leave the forum to do so. From what you've described thus far, it seems like a jolly good effort Smile

Cheerio
Hello Sherlok Ohms, I haven't figured out how to attach the photos yet. My photos are too large. Here is a link to a picture on my dropbox in the meantime.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mveip4iprwp7e...5.jpg?dl=0
Thanks
Hi NCtubes,

Perhaps you could approach this from the perspective of what building those amps is worth to you?

Consider (where applicable):

- How much time you spend on each amp.
- How much you'd like to make per unit of time spent on each amp.
- The total cost of materials. The deck, cabinet, components, etc.
- Cost of tools and shipping supplies.
- Marketing expenses - keeping in mind that your time is money.
- Utility bills (or increase of such if you are working from home).
- Insurance.
- Evaluate if doing the work brings you joy.

I am of the opinion that even casual hobbyist should charge appropriately for the fruits of their labor. Selling too cheaply has a negative affect not only on your pocket but on the industry as a whole.
Thanks DCarrer, I agree and appreciate your input.
S