London Power ad

[-]
Search the Forum








(Advanced Search)

Power Scale Footswitching
#3
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks — that's very helpful and clears up the switching issue with the kit-version SV2.
I went back through the SV2-M36 notes after reading your reply. I think I may simply have been using different terminology for the Drive Compensation function.
My existing master volume is a Lar-Mar/type-2 PPIMV: dual 250kA, PI coupling caps to pot-X, wipers to the EL84 grid stoppers, pot-0 to ground as the amp is cathode biased, with 1.8M safety resistors from each wiper to ground.
Looking at the Drive Compensation circuit in the SV2 notes, it appears to be doing essentially the same job — a dual post-PI control varying the signal into the output valves. So am I correct that my existing PPIMV can serve as the Drive Compensation control, rather than adding a separate DriveComp pot?
If so, I understand the switching as four relay poles: one to short/unshort the added Power Scale resistance, two for the two halves of the PPIMV/DriveComp, and one to reduce the reverb level — hence two DPDT relays.
Thanks again for the quick help.

Steve
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Power Scale Footswitching - by Steve Ward - 8 hours ago

Forum Jump:

[-]
Come in where it's warm!
A warm welcome to tube amp modding fans and those interested in hi-fi audio! Readers of Kevin O'Connor's The Ultimate Tone (TUT) book series form a part of our population. Kevin O'Connor is the creator of the popular Power Scaling methodology for amplifiers.
Please remember these three principles: respect, sharing, community.
Not familiar with The Ultimate Tone book series? See discussion topics, or click here to visit London Power/Power Press Publishing.

[-]
Tube Amp Forum Hosted by London Power
London Power logo